shake that cola drag

The office-block persecution affinity.

Friday, August 27, 2004

I am not the first person to make this observation. Nor will I be the last. But as Marika sends me some .mp3s (because I own the originals solely on LP! I am OLD) in order to make Ben an introductory Finn sort of compilation, I *must* semi-publicly note that Split Enz are a fucking weird band. Has it ever occurred to you, my fellow New Zealanders, how bizarre it is that you can hear something like 'Late Last Night' or 'My Mistake' on *classic rock radio* in this country? How did this dodgy proggy wacky outfit in white full body catsuits with mohawks and drag queen make-up become a national institution?

OK, sure, it's because they got all synth-poppy and new-wavey in the late seventies, and everyone rediscovered the back catalogue. But even given all that, if you compare them to bands which have undergone similar transformations, it's not like anyone plays *old Genesis* on classic rock radio in the States, do they?

And new Genesis sucked, while new Split Enz, generally, did not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home