shake that cola drag

The office-block persecution affinity.

Thursday, February 28, 2002

RIP, Spike Milligan. Really bummed about this.

On receiving an honorary CBE in 1992 from the then heritage secretary, David Mellor, who made the presentation in his office, the visibly frail Milligan had everyone in stitches, quipping: "I can't see the sense in it really. It makes me a Commander of the British Empire. They might as well make me a Commander of Milton Keynes - at least that exists."

The Goon Show was so, so great. But my favourite Spike work is Bad Jelly the Witch. (It seems that it's a local favourite; the only websites I can find to link to it are Kiwi ones.) I used to listen to Bad Jelly religiously on Sunday mornings at 7am - the 1ZB 1080 Club. Doesn't listening to radio kids' shows seem awfully quaint now? Yet that wasn't so long ago - the late 70s. 'You can come and sleep in *my* tree!'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home